Exclusive Snow Leopard and Lynx Experience, Nubra
Style of TourJeep Safari and Hiking
Best SeasonNovember to April
StaysRemote Lodge in Drass and Tsokar, Hotel in Nimmu
Day 1: Arrive at Leh, transfer to Grand Dragon
- Rest and acclimatize for the day.
Day 2: Leh Local
- After breakfast visit the Snow Leopard Conservancy for a quick interaction with their team and about their work. Explore Leh Market and Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace or the Central Asian Museum
Day 3: Birding Day Trip
Trek Distance/Duration: 5 kms / 3 hours
- Take a day trip to the villages of Latho, Gya and Meru for birding and wildlife viewing. Enroute visit some lesser known monasteries.
Day 4: Transfer to lodge in Nubra/Wari La landscape (4-5 hrs)
- After breakfast, drive towards Wari La from Leh and cross the pass to descend towards the Nubra Valley. The Karakoram Mountains stare at you from across the Shayok River as you cross the pass. Arrive at lodge in Khingru, located at the heart of the Nubra-Wari La landscape. Evening walk around the village, followed by briefing, introductions to the team and dinner. The presence of a permanent team from BRO at Wari La, with JCBs and trucks, makes it possible to cross the pass with relative ease even in the winter months
Day 4 to Day 10 – Exclusive Snow Leopard and Lynx tracking (7 nights)
- Explore the various valleys, ridges, streams and plateaus using vehicles and short walks. The fantastic road network makes it possible to access the habitats of various ungulates and also the two cat species of this region – the snow leopards in the mountains and the Lynx in the lower slopes and thick bushes around the Shayok and tributaries. The wolf packs roam the entire landscape continuously in search of food and can pop into view when least expected. The narrow gorges and thick shrub habitat at the base make this a perfect spot for larger raptors like Golden Eagles, Lammergiers and Griffon vultures who seem to prefer flying low through the gorges than over them as they do in broader valleys. The streams around Khingru offer fantastic birding. Specialities like the solitary snipe, the white-throated dipper and the wallcreeper can be encountered often during our walks. For the lucky few guests who see their wildlife early, they can choose to go on day trips with picnic lunches towards the sand dunes of Nubra and Pangong Lake, two of the most iconic landscapes of Ladakh.
- Wake up call at 7
- Breakfast at 8 30
- Day’s plan discussed then based on findings of the Spotters from earlier that morning ( guests can join the spotters early in the morning if they wish to)
- Based on information and distances, excursions will be organised using the vehicles at the Lodge, coupled with short walks ( easy to medium difficulty ) to vantage points or possible sighting areas. ( Mules and porters can be provided if requested in advance )
- Hot lunch at Lodge or in the field based on day’s plan.
- Return to the Lodge in the evening.
- Debrief in the common area over tea/coffee and snacks
- Documentary projection or interaction with naturalists in the common area
- Dinner at Lodge.
Day 11 – Return to Leh, Night at Grand Dragon
- After breakfast, drive back to Leh
Day 12 – Fly back to Delhi
- Early morning transfer to airport.
- END OF JOURNEY.
- ADDITIONAL INFO
- Accommodation in Khingru
- All meals
- Tea / Coffee all day
- Transportation at the lodge for wildlife spotting
- Transfers to and from the lodge from Leh
- All activities
- Spotter / Trackers
- Resident Naturalist at the Lodge
- Personal Tour Leader / Naturalist
- Any Alcohol / Beverages
- Any Travel / Medical Insurance
- Stay and activities in Leh.
Facilities at the Lodge
- Power : Regular power supply with generator back up on schedule
- Food : Mix of Indian / Continental / Ladakhi. Set Menus
- Library of reference books and fiction
- Binoculars available on request
- Spot scope with camera and mobile adapters
- Tea / Coffee & cookies available all day in the dining / lounge area
- All water freshly filtered in RO / UV
- Packed lunches / tea coffee provide when in the field
- No credit card facility – nearest ATM in Leh
- Vehicles / guides / spotters at disposal
- Rooms are heated with Gas / Electric heaters / Bukharis
- Hot Water Bottles
- No running water in winter. Toilets are flushed with buckets
- Hot water for bathing is available in buckets at your convenience
- Projection system for screening films in the Main Lodge and Annexe
- First Aid Kit
- Oxygen Cylinders
- Nearest Hospital in Leh ( approx. 2 hours drive )
- Best times for wildlife viewing:
- Wolf : November to April
- Himalayan Fox : All year
- Golden Eagles & Lammergeiers: All year. Courtship displays: March
- Ibex: November to June
- Urial: All year
- Marmot : April
- Bird watching: Throughout the year. Seasonally arranged list available.
What to carry?
- Valid ID proof (Passport/Voter ID/Drivers Licence)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A small daybag for walks
- One down jacket or warmer for chilly nights
- Rain poncho or jacket/windcheater (a must!)
- Sun block
- Sun goggles
- Flashlight with extra batteries (preferably wearable)
- Water bottle, preferably wide mouthed, with at least one litre capacity
- Personal toiletries
- Power bank (if you want to use phone camera)
- That book you’ve been meaning to read
- All outdoor related activities involve a certain level of risk. You are expected to sign an Indemnity Form in agreement to the risks involved through part taking in such outdoor activities.
- Delays are expected on account of roadblock & weather conditions. Our effort will be to continue with the trip as per the schedule & make you as comfortable as possible. But in such situations we may have to compromise on the campsite & adjust to these situations then & there. Our Lead Guide on location will take the final call.
- The itinerary should be viewed as ideal we may have to make some spot changes due various unavoidable reasons.
- The distances & altitude mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information; marginal variance in the actual distances & altitudes is possible.
- You are expected to be in reasonable shape and fitness
- Roots Ladakh reserves the right and permission to use photographs of individuals and photographs submitted by them on tour for use in promotional and publicity purposes